The Treaty on European Union 1993-2013
Reflections from Maastricht
The Treaty on European Union, popularly known as the Maastricht Treaty, has had a profound impact on the process of European integration. This book commemorates the entry in force of the Treaty 20 years ago by evaluating the legal impact it has had on the European Union’s institutional framework and its policies. It includes contributions on a wide variety of topics, including Economic and Monetary Union, Union citizenship, fundamental rights, foreign affairs and defence policy, educational policy and environmental policy. The different contributions revisit the reasons for the changes the Maastricht Treaty has brought about and examine their development over the years, identifying unexpected success stories, unfulfilled expectations, missed opportunities and future challenges. The contributors are or were associated with the Maastricht Centre for European Law or the Faculty of Law of the Maastricht University, giving this book a unique ‘Maastricht’ flavour. This book will be of interest to legal scholars and practitioners with a keen interest in EU law and European integration.
|Type of product||Book|
|EAN / ISSN||9781780682068|
|Series name||Ius Commune Europaeum|
|Number of pages||xxviii + 642 p.|
|Access to exercice||No|
|Publication Date||Oct 21, 2013|
|Available on Jurisquare||No|
|Available on Strada Belgique||No|
|Available on Strada Europe||No|
|Available on Strada Luxembourg||No|
- Table of Contents
- The 20th Anniversary of the Maastricht Treaty: Reflections from Maastricht
- Constitutional Change in the Shadow of the Maastricht Treaty
- A Look through the Lens of the Member States’ Constitutions: Maastricht as the Beginning of a New Era?
- The Elusive Unity of the EU Legal Order after Maastricht
- The Role of the European Court of Justice from Maastricht to Lisbon: Putting Together the Scattered Pieces of Patchwork
- Withdrawal from the European Union: An Option with Unforeseen Consequences
- Twenty Years After Maastricht and Nineteen Years After Porto: What Has Become of the Objective of Creating a Dynamic and Homogeneous European Economic Area?
- Subsidiarity: From a General Principle to an Instrument for the Improvement of Democratic Legitimacy in Lisbon
- Born in Maastricht: The Right of Inquiry of the European Parliament
- The Increasing Influence of the Ombudsman in the Institutional System of the European Union
- Taking Care of Business? Ensuring Respect for Fundamental Rights in Europe
- Festina Lente: CFSP from Maastricht to Lisbon and Beyond
- Between Pillars and Policies: The Quest for Consistency in EU External Relations Law
- The Third Pillar of the Maastricht Treaty: The Coming Out of Justice and Home Affairs
- Substantive Criminal Law in the European Union
- Is the Glass Half Empty or Half Full? Twenty Years of EU Cooperation in Criminal Matters
- European Private International Law: Quo Vadis? A Methodological Journey from Maastricht to Amsterdam, Lisbon and further – Future Challenges
- Union Citizenship and Constrained Democracy
- The Social (Rights) Dimension of EU Citizenship
- ‘Disrupting and Annoying’ – EU Citizenship and EU Migration Law Destroying Old Habits of National Migration Policy Making
- Internal Market, Competition Law and Industrial Policy
- Twenty Years After Maastricht: The Coming of Age of the EMU?
- Economic and Monetary Union: Maastricht’s Great Failure
- How Little Red Riding Hood coped with the EMU Wolf – The Quest for Adequate Modes to Manage the Social Consequences of European Integration
- Social Policy and the Maastricht Treaty: Much Ado about Nothing?
- Twenty Years of EU Environmental Legislation after Maastricht: The Increasing Role of the EU as a Global Green Standard-Setter
- Access to Courts for Environmental NGOs at the European and National Level: Improvements and Room for Improvement since Maastricht?
- No Bark and Less Bite? What Article 169 TFEU hasn’t done for Consumer Law and Why Not
- The Case to Correct Some of Maastricht’s Mistakes: A Critical Assessment of Article 165 TFEU on Education and Suggestions for Reform
- The State of the European Health Union – The Maastricht Contribution to EU Health Policy